Recently we purchased a new grill (yay!), and we’re always looking for something new to cook on it. Something other than your traditional burgers and dogs. I’ve always like to barbeque things, but that’s usually limited to a chicken breast, some wings, or the occasional short rib.
Tracy happened to find a recipe with an asian sauce and chicken and veggies on skewers, and this is our take on it. This recipe serves 2-3 people, if you need more just double the recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 lbs chicken cut into 1″ chunks
- 2-3 large peppers (red/green)
- 1 large or 2 medium onions (red/white sweet)
- “other” skewable things (zucchini, pineapple)
- skewers – metal or wooden
Sauce / Marinade Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (we use low sodium)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s is great)
- 1/4 cup healthy oil (Olive oil, Avocado Oil, etc.)
- 1/4 cup honey (we prefer raw organic honey)
- 2 large or 3-4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp asian 5 spice seasoning
- 1-2 tbsp Frank’s red hot (or other hot) sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- fresh ground pepper to taste
What you’ll need to do first is chop up the fresh ingredients for the sauce, add the remaining sauce ingredients – stir well. Then remove 1/2 cup, just enough for 2-3 dipping cups. Once you removed that, add the chicken chunks to the bowl and stir well. Chop your onion, peppers, and anything else grillable into about inch and a half chunks, and add that to the sauce/chicken mixture – stir well. Spoon the entire mixture out into a gallon baggie, and store in the fridge for a few hours or more. Overnight or half a day (if you prepare earlier) is fine.
You’ll need some skewers once it’s cooking time. If you don’t have any metal ones, you can get more wooden ones than you’ll ever need at the store for about $2. If you use the wooden ones, soak them in water in a baggie for a bit before using.
Assemble the skewers one thing at a time, onion, chicken, pepper, etc., leaving about an inch on the end to handle and place on the grill. This recipe makes about 8 skewers, depending on how much you use on each one.
Grill on med-high heat for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is done (but not burnt). Depending on your grill, you might have to turn more often to keep from blackening too much on one side. Once you remove them from the grill, enjoy by dipping with the sauce you set aside!